Diabetes Information for Patients:
Diabetes is a major health hazard and an epidemic in India. Although the awareness has increased among the educated population, the general population is not aware of its causes or impact on the health. This fact increases the burden on the individual and the country. Hence it is important to increase awareness about its causes, early screening, and complications.
Diabetes is a metabolic disorder in which body’s capacity to utilize the glucose, fat, and protein is disturbed. Causes for this phenomenon could be insulin deficiency or insulin resistance. This leads to higher than normal levels of sugar in the blood. Insulin is produced by beta cells in the pancreas.
Normal Blood sugar levels are:
Fasting: 70 to 100 mg/dl
Post meal: 100 to 140 mg/dl
Causes and Risk Factors:
1. Family history of diabetes
2. Dietary habits: Processed food, sugary food, eating at the wrong time, large meals
3. Sedentary Lifestyle and lack of exercise
5. Mental stress
6. High blood pressure and cholesterol
1. Increased thirst
2. Increased hunger and diet
3. Excessive Urination
4. Weight loss
5. A feeling of weakness and tiredness
6. Numbness in hand and feet
7. Blurred vision
8. Itching in the genital area
If you have any of the above risk factors, please consult your physician as soon as possible. Regular monitoring, early detection, and treatment is the key to better control of diabetes and hence better long-term health.
Prevention is the key. It is the most cost-effective way of controlling this disease. Following things will help you prevent diabetes:
1. Exercise regularly
2. Control weight within normal limits for your age and sex
3. Avoid excessive mental stress
4. Avoid fatty/sugary processed foods
5. Visit a physician and check your blood sugar at least once a year.
6. Eat 5 small meals instead of 2 or 3 large meals.
7. Eat at appropriate times
8. Eat dinner before 8:00 PM
Dr. Monika Mamidwar Is best Diabetologist in Pimple Nilakh, Baner, Wakad, Pimple Saudagar, has 16 Years experience in this field. Dr. Monika Mamaidwar is MD Doctor, the USA trained Doctor in Pune. provided treatment in Pimple Nilakh, Baner, Wakad, Pimple Saudagar.