What is Dengue Fever?
- Dengue fever is a disease caused by a family of viruses that are transmitted by mosquitoes.
- Symptoms of dengue fever include severe joint and muscle pain, swollen lymph nodes, headache, fever, exhaustion, and rash. The presence of fever, rash, and headache (the “dengue triad”) is characteristic of dengue fever.
- Dengue is prevalent throughout the tropics and subtropics.
- The acute phase of the illness with fever and muscle pain lasts about one to two weeks
Causes of Dengue Fever
Dengue fever is caused by any one of four types of dengue viruses spread by mosquitoes that thrive in and near human lodgings. When a mosquito bites a person infected with a dengue virus, the virus enters the mosquito. When the infected mosquito then bites another person, the virus enters that person’s bloodstream.
Dengue Symptoms and Signs
Primary symptoms of dengue appear three to 15 days after the mosquito bite and include the following:
- high fever and severe headache,
- with severe pain behind the eyes that is apparent when trying to move the eyes.
Other associated symptoms are:
- joint pain,
- muscle and bone pain,
- and mild bleeding.
How to Prevent Dengue
- Cover water containers, wells and water tanks tightly.
- Keep drains free from blockage.
- Change the water in vases and for aquatic plants at least once a week and leave no water in the saucers underneath flower pots.
- Throw unwanted containers where water could accumulate (such as lunch boxes and soft-drink cans) into a covered bin.
- Top up uneven surfaces of the floor to prevent water from accumulating.
- Wear light-coloured and long-sleeved clothing and trousers
- Apply mosquito repellents containing DEET to exposed parts of the body
- Use mosquito nets or screens when the room is not air-conditioned
- Avoid visiting the scrubby area.
- Install screens on windows and doors.
For more information, contact Dr. Monika Mamidwar. We provide Dengue Treatment in Pimple Gurav, Pimple Saudagar, Pimple Nilakh, Wakad, Aundh, Baner, Vishal Nagar.